Tuesday, March 26, 2013

First World Problems

Let it be known that life is hard.

I think this is the case for every single person.

The older I get, the more I believe that one out of every three people we cross paths with each day is dealing with some major crisis. I've had my days of crisis, and I've had my days of bliss.

Sadly though, even on my days of bliss I can find so much to complain about... to wish for... to be jealous of. .. Its kind of pathetic.

On Saturday I had the opportunity to go see some of my friends in an awesome dance concert at BYU. It was a combination of dance and cowboy poetry. Very unusual, but very cool.

One of my favorite poems was about being "rich." I wish I could find it to post it, but in essence it listed off all the reasons that a cowboy would feel they were rich even though they were so monetarily disadvantaged; things like the smell of grass, thunderstorms, fresh mountain air, etc. It was beautiful how the dancers portrayed this poem, and the message reminded me of a couple things.

My Car

I own a car. My brother sold it to me for an awesome price, it's all paid off, and I've been using it for almost four years now.  Unfortunately, its list of broken things is so long its almost comical, but it runs and I'm happy for it. Unfortunately over four years this little car has spent lots of time with the mechanic, at one point it was at least once every two months. At this time I was often very irritated at continually needing to fork out my money to get it fixed. I remember one day after discovering a new problem I was fantasizing about all the different ways I could destroy this car in the most painful and destructive way (painful to the car, not me...as if I could somehow get revenge on this inanimate object). As I was driving somehwere that day, stewing about how awful my life was because I was stuck with this happiness sucking, money draining, life ruining machine, I got a nice smack in the face from reality. I was stopped at a light, and wallowing in self pity when this man crossed the street in front of me. I don't know the exact details of the life situation of this man, but it was clearly difficult. His clothes were ragged, his face was sunken and worn, and because he was pushing a shopping cart filled with bags and other random personal items, I assume that he was homeless. In that moment the thought came "that man would kill to have your problems if he could have the things that you have." In an instant my self pity washed out, and I was filled with gratitude and a twinge of shame for my attitude. I was so overcome that I started to choke up (.... this is not uncommon...) and I began to think about all the opportunities that I have been blessed with. It was a good reminder for me that while my problems are indeed stressful, they are problems that many would be excited and happy to deal with because of the blessings that they are attached too.

I wouldn't say that this experience was the first wake up call I've ever had but it is definitely one of the most memorable.

A Little Phrase

This experience and the dance concert also reminded me of these funny little memes that make their way around the internet entitled "First world problems." They have always made me chuckle, and I really enjoy reading them because they put into perspective how silly our complaints can be. I enjoy them so much that I've kind of adopted that phrase into my life. Its kind of an internal thought thing, and it usually goes something like this:

Me speaking to someone: "I hate that I have to work so I can pay for school AND housing, why can't I just have super wealthy parents that pay for everything?" (This is one of my most recent ridiculous complaints)

Self to self in my head: "Um.... hold up Jack! Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is your life in imminent danger because of this problem?"

"No."

"Do you have a bed to sleep in and a roof over your head?"

"Yes."

"Do you know where your next meal is coming from?"

"Yes."

"Have you ever had to worry about making sure that your life sustaining needs are met?"

"No."

"Is this problem going to impede on your ability to get your life sustaining needs met?"

"No."

"Are there people around you that love you and are concerned for your well being?"

"Yes."

"Then congratufreakinglations, you are one of the luckiest people on the planet, you are dealing with a first world problem, quit your complaining and be grateful for how blessed you are!"

"Oh......I'm an idiot."

"Yup."

Its a fun little process that always helps me remember that I'm lucky and I have opportunities that so many people could only dream of. I mean, even the fact that I have the ability and the technology to write this blog post, and that you can read it means that we are both very blessed.

So, here's to trying a little harder to stop complaining and to being a little more grateful for all the awesome things I have. Huzzah!

And, to finish off; one of my favorite lists of "first world problems."





No comments:

Post a Comment